President Gordon B. Hinckley said:

"Today many sisters are being called to serve. Many more are preparing to serve. Not because they aren't married or don't have anything else to do, but they have the desire to serve. One reason that the Lord wants more sisters to serve is because within the next generation He will send His priesthood army to the earth. He wants to send choice spirit children to mothers who have been prepared, properly trained, and taught in the gospel. What better schooling can a mother have than to experience and grow as she serves a mission." --Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Happy New Year!!

Happy New Years to all of you over there!! New Years celebrations started weeks ago, but is officially starting today! It's so loud and we're excited for it! We have a FHE planned for the family's computer shop that I skyped at and another one..i'm going to gain so much weight..and it doesn't help with any New Years Resolutions because my birthday is Jan 2-go figure! Haha But, we were given the clearance to work normal night today but we need to be cautious. Thankfully it's PDAY and we'll be able to just do FHE's and not proselyting!
Christmas was so much fun!! I loved talking to you all and wow, how great you all look!! I couldn't even believe it! Yet, still my head hasn't wrapped around the fact that I haven't seen you all in almost a year.. crazy, no? But, all of you asked about Christmas here in the Philippines. TO be honest, we hear "oh we're so poor" all the time and only the rich really enjoy Christmas. All the others just want to skip to New Years. So, after we skyped, we were invited to our Bishops home to eat lunch..so good! I have so many recipes for you when I get home. We were there, it rained allllll day after we finished skyping so we had to proselyte in rain and no dinner appointment was offered, but our last appt. we got close to them as a family and she gave us food to take home. yummy. the end. It wasn't very eventful, unfortunately. ha

We also had a ward christmas party that Benny updated you on and sorry, no pictures today because he has my memory card and is copying all the pictures off it. But, it was SOOO much fun. President said at first we weren't allowed to attend unless we had a part, so benny saved the day. ha Sister Person was the chorister, and I the chorister. salamat!! (thank you) The talent show and games were so fun and we had so many people there-so many investigators and LESS ACTIVES!

Our investigators are progressing sooo much! WE have officially committed 11 with a date in 2 1/2 weeks here in Bacolod 5th.  We got here with only one and he was baptized that first Sat. we got here.  We had 13 investigators attend church and sister Person and I are sooo grateful for the blessings in our work! ...the Lord truly works miracles and softens the hearts of those who are ready to accept the gospel! We still had even a few that weren't at church that we are still working on because of illness, etc. 

One of my favorite experiences this week, and this has been a question on my mind for my whole mission.  I sit and wonder why I haven't been able to help baptize but one family and i was transferred right before their baptism in 6th ward. But, I wanted to experience a family because it's always teenage males..Yet, I realized my true purpose in the mission...to help prepare those missionaries to serve.  I have helped bring in future missionaries and all who are at that age have opened up to me and expressed their desire to serve a mission! We are reactivating a less active now who is 17 and gave us a referral of his friend who is 18, Benjie who we are teaching.  While they walked us out, they expressed to me that because of them seeing us and going with us to teaching appointments they both have a desire to serve a mission! Together! Huh? Benjie, isn't even a member but expressed how right it all felt.  Sister Person and I caught the Jeepney, both sat to ourselves and at the same time said "WOW..." The Spirit was incredible! And because of their example, their family is returning to active members of the church!

I have counted my many blessings this 2012! Oh the experiences, testimony builders that I've had, and the people who have come into my life and forever changed my life!! Yet, I am so excited for 2013! I am grateful for the opportunity to continue in the mission as I have watched a few of my friends be medically released from their missions, Alex Simons being the most recent. Yet, I know the Lord is in every detail of our lives.  Everything that happened and will happen is for a reason and there is something that we can learn from it! I love this work and am excited to see what 2013 will bring..

Fun thing from the talk of Benny: His challenges that I extend to you all as well for 2013:
Husbands- Say and show "I love you" more to your wives
Wives- Be more patient with your husbands
Children- Be more obedient.
SIngle adults- Serve a mission
Single adults that are older or RM's- Get married, don't settle, and keep your standards!

2013 awaits all of us! Happy NEW YEAR! Drink some Martinelli's for me! You probably won't notice anything different because I'm usually sleeping before midnight..just this year, you won't have to worry about waking me up!! I love you!! :) xo

Love, 
Sister Lauren Arnold

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name's Amanda Enman, soon to be Sister Enman! Carrie Wallace had me look this blog up. I just got called to the Bacolod Philippines Mission, and all these stories make me soooooo excited to go! And maybe I'll even be lucky enough to meet Sister Arnold! I'm excited to read more stories and learn about the Philippines!

    ReplyDelete