President Gordon B. Hinckley said:

"Today many sisters are being called to serve. Many more are preparing to serve. Not because they aren't married or don't have anything else to do, but they have the desire to serve. One reason that the Lord wants more sisters to serve is because within the next generation He will send His priesthood army to the earth. He wants to send choice spirit children to mothers who have been prepared, properly trained, and taught in the gospel. What better schooling can a mother have than to experience and grow as she serves a mission." --Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Week 3 -MTC

Beginning of week 4 family, and this is where it really begins! The language, the companion, the new roommates, new teachers, new schedule..back to being adjusted! But, I couldn't be more excited! I just picked up my books and no joke-its MORE than 8-10 lbs..more like 20! I hope my brain can hold all that! :) But, I picked up my pictures today, so those will be coming! We had some fun times and memories, and I was sad to see all my friends I had made go, but I'm ready to make more memories! It's crazy to think how close I got to everyone in 2-3 weeks, let alone be with the new group 6 weeks..I already moved my stuff to my new room, 4 of the girls were already there (kinda messy and a lot of international girls), but we'll make the best of it! My pdays will also change to Friday, so the emails will be then! I miss you all, and you'll laugh at what I have to send the boys! You have to help them with it :) Give everyone kisses for me..tyler can do the honors of giving scoob kisses-but i love you all!
Wed- Pday, like all the others. I did my first session in the Provo temple and just loved it! Today I made friends with a kid who looks identical to Ron Weasley and guess who his companion is?? Jayce Chalfant..remember the Chalfants? Jordan? Well, it was fun to see him after so long and they all look alike! You will see what I mean. I got a picture with them both!
Thurs- Today we learned and taught about how we can invite people to come unto Christ with the emphasis on church attendance! Our teacher came and had lunch with us and that was fun to get to know him and him know us on a more personal level. Then we had more class! That's all we ever have here, but the time in class doesn't even feel like 3 hours! it's so fun! All the teachers who don't have classes these weeks, come in and beg to help our class..our class was awesome! Then we taught our investigator Hely again. It was incredible! She had a friend pass away and was extremely sad and we went in there and encouraged her to get out and serve. It's those times that we get depressed, etc when times like that happens, that it is crucial to get out and forget ourselves. she cried and told us that it was exactly what she needed to hear and we answered her prayers. It was powerful and she is a real investigator and all those experiences were real and it was amazing that as we taught by the Spirit, we were able to answer her prayers. I got her address to keep in contact because she was amazing!
Fri- Today I had to tag along with danish sisters that are my roommates because my whole district had "in field' orientation. I thought it was going to be easy, but inside I was so nervous all the sudden about learning a language! But, I pushed on and just kept telling myself I am serving there for a reason and I CAN DO THIS!
Sat- It was a new day, and a new attitude! Today was great! We had zone teaching where we role played one on one with the new missionaries that had just gotten here to show how it is done. I learned to say "I know" instead of "I believe" because I don't JUST believe, but I KNOW this church is true! Then we had class where our teacher separated us boys from girls. We didn't know why and he just said plan a lesson on the plan of salvation..we were given no direction, were confused, and all just were mellow and hung out. He told us after that he wanted to see that with girls we all got antsy like we should be doing something, and that's why he loved girls in a class. they have so much to offer.. Then he told us that everything he did was for a reason, and he wanted us to be more observant people as he pointed out things he noticed about certain people and he paired them up with certain people because they grew close to them and allowed them to shine more. It was really interesting and by the end of the discussion, we were all in tears. then to top it off, one of the elders who has low self esteem, gave us all letters for us parting and we were all crying until we fell asleep. we grew so close to them and the spirit was so strong that night that we were just over flooded with joy! It's days like these that make up for all the tough days!
Sun- Daylight Savings killed us all this morning! That hour of sleep affected us more than we thought! haha. but, we got through it and we learned that we should carry out matriarchy, mothers or not. We should all be teachers to those around us, and love them! Then, in sacrament mtg. our district performed a musical number as we were going to be leaving and we were all so thankful for the branch presidency and especially their wives who were our mothers away from home! That night in devotional we learned about "perhaps" goals..those that are still goals but you only may have a 50/50 shot at them, but we give it our all! It helped a lot! Then, I said bye to another friend tonight that I grew close to these past few weeks, griffin. ps he was district leader, I am so proud of him!!
Mon- Today was my last lesson w/ Sister Despain. I have grown to love her like a grandma, she's helped my testimony, and I had her sign my book and took a picture with her so you can see one of the many people who influenced me since being here. then, class as normal. we took good bye pictures and it was crazy to think they left in the morning!
Tues- I woke up to only 3 people out of 6 in the room. They all are going to do great in Nebraska and Florida. I also was able to go to the temple and it was MUCH needed! We watched a devotional from Elder Holland on giving it all we have and don't we dare come home! haha. We went to a class also where elders just got there and showed them how we can apply the reading from the scriptures can give revelation. I felt bad because they felt like they got showed up by 3 girls, but it wasn't like that at all! haha. Man, our teachers were seriously the best!! Then we had Elder Cardon come for devo. haha grandma, did you know he was coming?? It was weird to think that he was just at your house this weekend and then spoke today! But, he was awesome..made me reevaluate the little things that may be distracting to me so that I can serve with all my might, mind, and strength!!
Awesome week! And everyone check their mail as I will be sending pictures out!
Mahal Kita,
Sister Arnold


1 comment:

  1. Lauren, you are an amazing young woman! What a wonderful example you are showing to all our young people. May the Lord bless you each and every day!
    With much love,
    Silvia Fernelius

    ReplyDelete