President Gordon B. Hinckley said:

"Today many sisters are being called to serve. Many more are preparing to serve. Not because they aren't married or don't have anything else to do, but they have the desire to serve. One reason that the Lord wants more sisters to serve is because within the next generation He will send His priesthood army to the earth. He wants to send choice spirit children to mothers who have been prepared, properly trained, and taught in the gospel. What better schooling can a mother have than to experience and grow as she serves a mission." --Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Escalante

What a week I tell ya! Good and bad news! Our house is in a big mess with the contract and we have to be out at the end of the month! We found one, but the kitchen was not considered clean.  The cleanliness to me was disgusting in the kitchen, but here I have learned to just adapt because Sis. Boncales thought it was ok.  I do come from a different culture and fear being considered high maintenance.  But, we have American couples that came and checked our apartment and have the same standards as I and denied it.  So, if we don't find another house within the next week and a half, we will be pulled out of Escalante.  We didn't work as much this week because of our focus on the house because President wants to make that a high priority, but we tried to balance as much as possible. Sis. Boncales and I really don't want to be transferred because our love for the people here and the work is going like crazy!  Our progressing investigators, we have six. They are all progressing really well and excited about their baptisms. Erwin and May-Ann will be baptized on Aug. 18th. That is Erwin's birthday and he is so excited. May-Ann is 17 and Erwin will be turning 18. They keep their commitments, read the pamphlets we given them in preparation and they always are actively engaged in the lesson, and keeping their commitments. Amile is 9 and we've had to postpone his baptism for three weeks now because his mom won't go to church for him to have an interview. We still visit and support them, but right now we're focusing on the family because his mom needs to be strengthened for Amile to be baptized. They have trials in their life, but last night we taught them about Mos 23:21-22. Mark is 9 as well and loves church. His family is extremely poor, but they always send him to church so he can prepare for baptism even if his family doesn't join them. Marilyn has come to church three weeks in a row even though her family doesn't and always tells the little children that stand in the door of the house to be quiet because she loves listening to the lessons. They all are scheduled for April 18th and April 25th and we're excited because we received a lot of referrals this week as well!
Tuesday we had an awesome district meeting where the zone leaders taught us what President trained them on to pass down.  Mostly about new rules and how obedience and if we're all aligned in the mission, we'll see miracles.  There was one rule that was hard for a lot of us to accept that is NO RINGS..no matter boys or girls.  But, we accepted it and knew it was for a reason and like he said: If we obey, we'll see miracles!
Sister Boncales and I have been very grateful this week for our personalities because we have been able to get close to lots of the less actives who even though they aren't going to church and were extremely reserved at first, we have been able to get their trust little by little and have been invited to dinner at their houses, etc. 
Man, I love the work here! We have a few people that will be returning next week who are doing great! Little by little they realize what they have been missing.  My companion and I are still so close..no contention, etc! Our unity continues to show in our work and our determination to just go out and work is aligned.  There are so many people waiting to hear the gospel and it's up to us.  The Lord has entrusted us in this area now and I know that we need to act our part! Sister Boncales and I also celebrated her 6 months..not much of a celebration-we cooked pasta and went to get our avocado shakes that we're addicted to! But, yes mom, you mentioned that soon will be my 6 months! Time has flown by and in bed last night Sis. Boncales and I realized that there are only 2 transfers before Christmas and by then, I will only have 6 months left! It's because of how fast time flies that I know that every minute counts.  Everyday the sun rises and falls, and how did I perform at the end of the night to Heavenly Father?  I am grateful to be here in the Philippines! And, I miss all of you! 

Stay positive! Times are hard and here as missionaries my motto is: Expect the unexpected, but I know that the Lord provides in all things if we but have faith and continue in the gospel! I know this church is true and the only true church on the Earth today! I testify of it everyday and the blessings and miracles I see each day, both in my work, and in my family! I am grateful for those tough times in life because that's when the Lord refines me to the person I need to be and we just continue growing and progressing! Smile-we have tons to be grateful for! Count your many blessings!
Palanga ta ka!
Sister Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment