President Gordon B. Hinckley said:

"Today many sisters are being called to serve. Many more are preparing to serve. Not because they aren't married or don't have anything else to do, but they have the desire to serve. One reason that the Lord wants more sisters to serve is because within the next generation He will send His priesthood army to the earth. He wants to send choice spirit children to mothers who have been prepared, properly trained, and taught in the gospel. What better schooling can a mother have than to experience and grow as she serves a mission." --Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

Saturday, July 28, 2012

I'm headed Escalante City!

Maayo'ng Buntag Family and Friends!

Well, last Monday was a hard day as I said my goodbyes to Sister Marty and Sister Gay.  We were invited for lunch at a members house along with them.  We ate, then after headed to the Zoo here..small, but they wanted me to conquer my fear of snakes..did I mention I hate snakes..gross! Well, they had me put the snake around my neck and I didn't realize just how much of a chicken I was-but, needless to say, I did it. Gay and Marty have pictures because my camera was dead and they said they'd put them on Facebook for you guys.  Then, we had a FHE that they attended of the Enobia family since they are their Visiting Teachers and after, they took us out to dinner yet, again! I am going to miss them a ton, but I know I'm called where I need to be. 
Tuesday was transfer day, and when I heard him announce that I was headed to Escalante City, I was shocked! This area was one that President Tobias (former Pres) and Ap's said that I couldn't go to because I am foreign.  They basically said I'd stay city side and honestly I was really bummed.  So when they announced that I was headed to Escalante, a million questions flooded my mind? Why me out of all the Americans here? Why now? Why am I learning Cebuano now, if I didn't master Illongo yet? Why? Why? Why? All the other sisters gasped and were shocked and commented "THAT"S CEBUANO!" Then President said closing remarks and he answered my questions and said "Many of you are wondering why? And I wish I had the answer.  But, I've received revelation to where you all are assigned and it's not me that called you, but the Lord" Well, how can I argue that!? I found out that I am only the 2nd foreigner American that has been here EVER as a missionary, and the first one was a long time ago.  I got my new companion Sister Boncales and we headed to Escalante City on a Ceres bus for 3 hours travel.  I got to the house, unpacked and it was 7pm.  Just enough time go out until 8pm.  Here we only stay out because it's dangerous after dark. But, we taught 3 lessons.  We got home and I looked at their goals and found out where they are as an area.  They were averaging 11-25 teaching total a week, with only one 9yr old investigator, no other investigators, etc.  I knew we needed to kick it up a bit and she was okay with working harder and that's exactly what we did.  I have gotten tons of stares as I walk by, but in no way, shape, or form do I feel threatened here. The people here are amazing and the area is breath taking.  It's Escalante City, but it's extremely poor, nothing is here, but it's a huge area, with mostly farm area, caribou's (my favorite) and sugar cane fields..that's where I wanted to be assigned and I got it! I am finally getting tan and have major tan lines on my feet now! haha I met tons of members, we taught 40 lessons from tues night to sunday and 16 lessons to investigators.  We found ten investigators this week and focused on three this week and all are progressing.  They went to church Sunday for district conference and are excited to continue and progressing towards aug 18th.  I knew we could pick it up and that's what we did here.  Sister Lopez worked with us as they were in Escalante for District Conference and she's only worked with two companionship's since she's been here and I've been in both of them, with different areas, different companions.  She has something about her and all those less actives that we visited were at church on Sunday and the majority of the ones we visited this week were also!  The Lord is blessing this work and I love the zone I got put into as I knew two of them already, one I was batch with who has helped me with Cebuano, given me resources so I can progress, etc.  My companion is Sister Boncales and she is amazing.  She is probably going to be one of my favorite companions! Right from the start we had the divine companionship and it only keeps continuing! No contention, we speak Illongo in the house as I'm trying to transition to Cebuano.  Cebuano is easier than Illongo in my opinion, but it's the transitioning that is hard for me when I'm so used to talking in Illongo.  We also had a lesson where the investigator saw I am American and requested that I teach her in English-yikes! I stumbled and fumbled over my words, kept saying Illongo and they all just laughed at me.  Grabe! So, I resorted back to Illongo/Cebuano.  I have a family that this week we're visiting and they said I can ride their caribou so I am so excited for that! Then, last night as we were walking home from our appointments., the hotel that president and sister are staying at is a block away and we passed it.  We saw them in the window on their computers eating and we tapped softly on the window to say hi and they invited us in and to stay for dinner.  So we had dinner for 4 and it was so great! I could talk great things about them all day, but it was an evening that my companion and I were privileged to have. 

This was a rewarding week and I was thankful for the change.  We agreed that even though I am junior because I'm learning another dialect again that there's no junior/no senior and because of that, our unity, our friendship, and our desire to go out and just WORK, we have seen miracles and I'm excited to learn more about the members and the less actives, find more investigators, and turn this area upside down for the better..as a COMPANIONSHIP!

I know that I left my family for a short time so that others can be together forever.  That's what it is all about, and I am so thankful to be serving the Filipino people.  I know this gospel is true and my testimony gets strengthened every day and am looking forward to another 5 weeks in this area and hopefully one more transfer with her!!

I love this work and I love you all! You are in my thoughts and prayers, always!

Palanga ta ka!

Sister Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment