President Gordon B. Hinckley said:

"Today many sisters are being called to serve. Many more are preparing to serve. Not because they aren't married or don't have anything else to do, but they have the desire to serve. One reason that the Lord wants more sisters to serve is because within the next generation He will send His priesthood army to the earth. He wants to send choice spirit children to mothers who have been prepared, properly trained, and taught in the gospel. What better schooling can a mother have than to experience and grow as she serves a mission." --Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Expecting transfers unfortunately!

Maayong Buntag Family and Friends,

  This week was a crazy week and ended just as unexpectedly..

Monday and Tuesday- We were in Bacolod for Zone Nurse Training and the funny part was everyone found out I will be applying to Dental School so they were asking me..mom would enjoy this. One elder asked me "Sister, if my gums are bleeding even if I eat dried fish just now, what does that mean." I asked him "Elder, do you brush three times a day?" He looked puzzled "Well no, sister".. "Elder, do you floss at least once a day?" .."Well, does a tooth pick count?" ........hahah Different cultures, but they still have access to floss, etc. We laughed but glad I was able to help with at least the basics.  (And mom, I'm excited for you to look at my teeth..you'd be so impressed considering I brush 3 times a day and floss after every meal)....ha shocked?!!! ...me too!

Wednesday- We found out that one of the families that we just reactivated, the mom who even just gave us a referral passed away! The father has so many kids, a son with brain damage because he played computer games and did drugs, etc in college, his wife's mom living with them who is older, and has to work.  She was only 43 and it just makes us realize how fast time goes here on earth and at any time we could depart.  She also wasn't dressed in her temple clothes and the Branch Presidency asked Sis. Boncales and I to do it for the experience, but i'm pretty sure they asked President and got the no go. haha But,  I was shocked to hear that Roger Ludwig passed away..I miss him already. Man, ever since I was little those are my memories of him is him picking me up and tickling me until I would scream! So unexpected! How is the family? Was he sick still?

Thursday- We worked with the Branch missionaries and were able to have four of our investigators preparing to have a white Christmas! The Branch missionaries have been great and we have seen the help of the Branch members and especially them as they apologized for misjudging us as missionaries and realized what dad advised me in his email! So thank you!

Friday- Sick again. Same thing again with my stomach but I didn't eat any of the food that I'm not supposed to eat. I don't get it. 

Sat- We were back in action and worked so hard to make it to all our progressing Less actives and investigators so that they will make it to church! We found this really effective and we have built so many relationships with the members who were cold shouldered at first.  They sit us down and buy us pamahow (Snacks) and we just sit and are able to build on that relationship because sometimes like Grandpa Arnold said "Sometimes they just need a smile, a pat on the back, or to feel our love to realize that they are missed..and sometimes that's all it takes". How true it is and we've seen that sometimes we don't need to share a long message/lecture with them all the time, but more of a casual "Hi, we miss you".

Sun-We had church was was really great as we had fast sunday.  We fasted from Sat night to sun morning and we truly saw the blessings of it.  First time Less actives coming back to church, changes that are positive in the branch, success all around! Yet, our mission president is really pushing teaching in English to those who understand English, so if they are teachers here, they know english and are extremely educated and rich.  We had a less active I contacted for the first time and I took President's challenge and taught in english thinking it would be a piece of cake..not! Nose. BLEED! But, she was impressed! ha

Today, during personal study we were told not to shop at the market today and we received a text from President to update our area book.  We're getting white washed. This finally will be an elders area like we predicted.  President has gotten so strict here and changed so many things!  One things he changed is that we could be transferred at anytime-not just at the 6 week transfer..he noticed a tendency in numbers get low pagtransferday so he doesn't want us expecting.  Well, we were so excited to be companions still and in Escalante, but we'll find out tonight our new areas! So until next week, you'll find out! He also changed rules that we're not allowed to write letters to any other missionaries no matter where in the world they are...you all can imagine how hard that one was to hear!! ..especially with so many friends I have on missions, etc.  But, I've accepted his revelation and from it will come blessings in our work! 

Tyler looked sooooo HANDSOME in his date with Jessica! I truly admire her and send my respect to her. As a sister, it truly shows the character of a person when they can ask a special needs child to a dance, esp when she's popular and a cheerleader..sometime those people fear what others will think, but man I think he got as pampered as me for the dance and looked like a stud! That's my brother! Esp. on the dance floor! I agree with Grandma Jolene, I wish I was a fly on the wall for that one! 

Congrats to Cade on his baptism!
Branden is getting so big!
Happy Birthday to Ashley! I hope she had fun in Disneyland!
Grandma Jolene-take it easy, but missing Christmas music :)
Grandpa Earl- Love you!
Grandma Valerie- Thank you for all the pictures and updates
Grandpa Christiansen- Little by Little I'm adjusting to family history..i take after my mother, but hopefully the mission will change that. I"ll make you proud! haha
Jen- updates!!!!!!!

The church is true! I love this work, no matter where I'm placed and know that the Lord needs me in that area for a reason! Stay safe and happy this holiday season! Escalante is going big this Christmas Season..it's lighted all up! I pray for you all the time! 

xo Sister Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment