President Gordon B. Hinckley said:

"Today many sisters are being called to serve. Many more are preparing to serve. Not because they aren't married or don't have anything else to do, but they have the desire to serve. One reason that the Lord wants more sisters to serve is because within the next generation He will send His priesthood army to the earth. He wants to send choice spirit children to mothers who have been prepared, properly trained, and taught in the gospel. What better schooling can a mother have than to experience and grow as she serves a mission." --Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Week 2 in the Bacolod 5th Ward!

Maayong udto pamilya kag amigo/amigas!

     I am so grateful to be a missionary!  I have seen a difference in my work, and in my time as I have tried to adjust how I use my time wisely.  The first week here was a confusing one and I felt like even though I was constantly working, I didn't feel like I was using my time wisely.  Yet, as I set the goal this week, I truly saw the progress and blessings in our work.  I studied chapter 5 of Alma and evaluated myself through the inspired questions and know that we all still have so much work to be our BEST, but am grateful for the opportunities that we have and experiences that shape us into the missionary that we need to be! I finally feel comfortable with the area and most of the people here that we are focusing on for week 2, as well as visiting new less actives! We have met so many families and members who are elect and ready to come back!  We have had experiences with them as we visit them and show they are missed truly by the members! We had 6 less actives at church and are all excited to return back! We introduced them to members so that they had friends and they became reliant on the ward and we weren't chauffeuring them everywhere we went.  One in particular started with an "I'll try", but showed up to church and even brought an investigator referral that we will begin to teach!  The blessings of our work and the spirit is unreal.  The members and ward missionaries are supportive and especially Bishop who noticed even the little details.  We wanted to ask him for his goals for the ward, but instead, that was his first questions was "We have had elders for the longest time, what can you SISTER bring to our ward?" It was a self evaluating question and in my personal study I listed goals I have for the ward and what I want to accomplish with the help of my companion:
-We need to strengthen the Priesthood in the ward because the congregation is mostly women and those who are men are wearing jeans, a t-shirt and that leads me to the other goal that I have which is to get all priesthood holders worthy and wearing a white shirt, slacks, and a tie.  
-Bishop also expressed that the members and organizations are still getting used to us as "sisters", and we need their help!! I remembered a study in PMG that said the best way to gain the trust of members is to serve them.  I want the members to trust us, and be excited about this amazing work--through our service to them: whether it be a teaching visit to them to help strengthen them, etc.
-The average attendance here for the past 4 months has been roughly 150-170.  I want us to get the attendance up to 240 on average and once we reach that goal, to keep aiming higher! I know it's possible because we had 195 last Sunday and 201 this past Sunday! 
-I want to emphasize F. History here and emphasize how every member should have a temple recommend.  If they start FH and have a temple recommend, they'll become excited about going to the temple and sacrifice to get there.
-We also want 100% RC attendance and last week there were 4/18 and this week was 12/18 so we're seeing the progress and are hoping to achieve the 100%! 

I know with these goals presented to Bishop, he'll see that we're here to help him and in return we need their help!  We have set these goals and as I studied Alma 26:26,30 it made me remember a "perhaps goal".  The perhaps goal is realistically a 50/50 chance of achieving it, but we give it our 100% effort and best to achieve it as if it was 100% possible just like Ammon and his brethren!  

We have 5 investigators with a date and they have a date for Jan. 19th.  Three had something come up and didn't attend church, but we are going to be following up and doing everything we can to get them into baptism and see the life long changes the gospel has to offer!  One investigator Mercy, is a wife of a LA and he has two more Sundays to go before returning.  She had been taught before but wasn't interested anymore.  When we got there, she went to the room but we tried fellow shipping her first and she ended up sitting down, listening, and now is keeping ALL commitments and excited about her baptism.  This was a plead from a less active to help his wife accept the gospel and we are so excited that now is her time!  And we at the same time found 18 more investigators again this week!! 

This week was amazing! I love this work! I love 5th ward! I love the Spirit that guides us, the time that we can use wisely to achieve our goals and for a companionship to be side by side! I am grateful for the opportunity given to me to serve with Sister Person!

I am excited for next week when GAY is coming to work with me in 5th ward!!! I am excited to talk to you on Christmas! Speaking of Christmas, we were asked to perform a musical number in church and guess who ended up singing? me. ha Sister Person accompanied on the piano "He Sent His Son" but it couldn't have gone better..the Spirit was so strong! The power of music!

I miss you all more than ever and am definitely missing you all at this time of the year..sorry, but I don't think I'll make it tear free! :)

Palanga ta ka!!
Sister Arnold

No comments:

Post a Comment