President Gordon B. Hinckley said:

"Today many sisters are being called to serve. Many more are preparing to serve. Not because they aren't married or don't have anything else to do, but they have the desire to serve. One reason that the Lord wants more sisters to serve is because within the next generation He will send His priesthood army to the earth. He wants to send choice spirit children to mothers who have been prepared, properly trained, and taught in the gospel. What better schooling can a mother have than to experience and grow as she serves a mission." --Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

Sunday, December 30, 2012

And the work continues

Well, to start off, I want to thank everyone for the weekly updates and emails. I wish I could say all were positive, but I was expecting the announcment of Great Grandpa passing away this week.  I wish words could describe, but I had an extremely spiritual experience this week the same day that he passed away! I knew exactly what had happened, and I knew I would be receiving the announcment of Grandpa passing away this week. And sure enough, it came.  And yet, I am grateful for the knowledge that families are forever! I knew when I left on my mission that that would be the last time I saw him, and it still hasn't processed and yet, I'm sure it'll be hard to process because I am not home to be involved in the funeral, etc. But, I'll be there in Spirit. I am grateful for the relationship that I did have with him as I grew close to them with grandma being sick all the time.  He is an example to me of sacrifice.  He sacrificed so much while he was alive so that grandma would be happy and I know they are finally happy to be with each other, without being in pain.   I teach the people of the Philippines about Heavenly Father's plan for us-The Plan of Salvation, and to help others receive the knowledge that I have about families will be together forever is worth every minute! I will miss our times and him baking me cookies, hard boiled eggs, talking history with him, watching fights, etc. But, I know that I will see him again! Good luck with all the funeral preparations and I'll be there in spirit!
As for our week here in Escalante:
Monday- PDAY and as usual we didn't really do much. I want to go out and adventure, go hiking, to the beach, but my companion isn't really down for that! haha  But, we had FHE with the Martirizar Family who we are reactivating right now. They are recent converts, and fell away to being less active. The past missionaries weren't welcome in their home, but when SIS. Boncales and I heard that, we decided to try and we've gotten really close to them. At first, Bro. Martirizar was extremely closed off but amat-amat (little by little) they warmed up to us and we are helping them work towards the temple, etc! They are awesome!
Tuesday- We had district meeting and that was a day where we worked for hours and hours with two lessons once again.  Everyone is "busy" or uses the  rain as an excuse, but we continue with or without the rain!
Wed and Thursday- The work continued! We made some progress, even though it was still raining! One family we've gotten close to is the Sebua family! Sister is 75 and brother is 75 and we are reactivating Brother and Sister expressed to us that she wanted to leave her family because she has her grandchildren full time and they are younger. She has to wash for them, cook, clean, etc. and they are energetic kids=not easy.  Bro. isn't much help as one would hope, but we are strengthening them.. amat-amat! But, if it's not too big, attached is a video of Bro. and there were tons of mosquito's in their house and on him and he was slapping them and so I joked with him and told him there was one on his head and he whacked his head to kill it! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time, and even Sister Sebua was laughing so hard, she had tears! Sometimes, we just have to laugh and enjoy our days!
Friday- We set tons of goals for our area because we are getting low on investigators because they're all being baptized, and we are excited to see how it works!
Saturday- We went to Lupa and a funny experience was I went to step in the river to cross the rive and I was doing fine, until! there was a drop in the water.  I sunk all the way to my knees and I came out with no shoe! A little boy had to help me and I had mud all on my skirt! Everyone stood laughing as I stood there helplessly and we all ..laughed! :) Attached is a picture of it :) We also, had the baptism of Jea! I haven't laughed so hard at a baptism, but we had our Recent Convert Erwin baptize her, and he had to repeat the prayer a lot because he kept messing up. But, she also had to be baptized three times because her hair kept  coming up and she wasn't completely immersed! Little did we know, she's afraid of water, so when she went under she panicked and it was super hard for Erwin.  But, we laughed and were happy to see her happy-once she was completed!
Sunday- Jea was late, so she was unable to be confirmed! But, she'll be next week! We had our investigator at church and will be baptized the 29th! We had quite a few less actives that we're working on there, also! The zone leaders also came to our chapel to ask for our help to set up for zone conference and told us that we will have a Sisters Conference in Bacolod beg of Oct. We were so excited! And they also told us that because no sisters are coming in to the mission next transfer, that there will be no transfers for sisters next transfer! So we have 10 more weeks together! And one of us will be here through Christmas!
I am grateful for the tender mercies in my life and for the examples each day that I can look up to! I know this plan of our Heavenly Father is true! Families are forever! That's a reason I am here-so that I can help others be with theirs for eternity! Good luck with the funeral and I'm sure it will be beautiful! You all will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Sister Arnold
xoxo
 

No comments:

Post a Comment